Young King on Twitter

Young King on Myspace

Monday, November 23, 2009

Drake Hypes "Thanks Me Later" LP, "I've Gotten Better At Rapping"


Young Money's Drake recently talked about his emcee skills getting better and the focus he has on putting a story-based spin on his forthcoming Thank Me Later debut next year.

For Drizzy, the anticipation to share his personal journey with fans has continued to increase.

"You can expect the same sound, I'm still going to be telling a story," Drake explained in an interview. "I've got a great story to tell now -- it's been a crazy year. I just want to make it a little bigger, a little more energy. Sonically, I want to advance. I think I've gotten better at rapping since the last one so I'm excited to share it with the world. That's how I come up with songs, I'll sit there and rap to myself. There are people who are phenomenal at freestyling, but I'm a writer."

Recently recalling his publicized Funkmaster Flex radio show appearance last spring, Drizzy weighed in on his focus toward written rhymes rather than off-the-head freestyles.

"I'll never forget how nervous I was," Drake explained in an interview. "It was such a rookie hip-hop moment -- and, obviously, the controversy of me pulling out my phone and rapping off my phone because I just wasn't prepared. A lot of people don't know the difference between freestyle or off the top and coming to a radio show knowing you got to go there, so you got verses cued up in your head, whether they be off your upcoming album or verses just that you have laying around. A lot of artists get that preparation time...I'm a writer, man. I appreciate the elements of hip-hop. I appreciate a guy like Common who goes city to city and just spits at the crowd for 10 minutes about everything he sees. I admire talent like that, because that's just not my creative process."

Still in its early stages, Drake recently explained the initial difficulty he has been having with song selection for his upcoming album.

"No, it's not the first single," Drake said about his The-Dream collaboration. "It deserves to be a single at some point, but it's not the first single... I have trouble doing that. I'd say I have about six songs done and to pick from just six is hard for me 'cause I don't know what else is going to come. With So Far Gone, before 'Best I Ever Had' became the single, the entire project was done and it just happened to be the most commercially viable, catchiest song. I like picking my singles like that. Now obviously my management hates that because that doesn't give them much time to work it. But I'm a big believer that everything should happen organically and if it doesn't then something's not right, and I don't really want to change my formula. Before I start working a single, I need to get about 10, 15, 20 songs done so I can pick from a batch of music as opposed to just committing to something right now."

Drake recently touched on the importance of lyricism for his debut album.

"Lyrically, I want to keep the album as genuine and honest as 'Fear' is, but musically there will be a little more energy," he promised. "There will be more moments of triumph, because my life is the best it's ever been in my 22 years of existence. I want my music to reflect that, but I still want to be able to relate and connect with people. It's a good indication. There will obviously be some variation -- not every track is going to sound like that. I was actually going to save 'Fear' for the album, but I wanted to give people another reason to buy the [So Far Gone] EP"

Thank Me Later is slated to hit stores February 2010.

Check out a recent Drake live performance below:

No comments:

Post a Comment