Young King on Twitter

Young King on Myspace

Monday, July 26, 2010

Wiz Khalifa Thanks Fans For His 'Hottest Breakthrough MCs' Victory



Wiz Khalifa's Taylor Gang is one dedicated group of fans: Their votes helped to catapult Wiz to the top of MTV News' poll to make him 2010's "Hottest Breakthrough MC." Numerically, Wiz crushed his competition, garnering more than 66,000 voted, nearly 30,000 more than Young Money MC Nicki Minaj, who came in second place.

Wiz himself is quick to acknowledge their efforts. Over the weekend, MTV News caught up with Wiz at his crib in Pittsburgh, where he watched MTV2's "Sucker Free Summit" with friends and family, and he explained he owed all his success to his fans.

"It's a great thing to be recognized on that level, and really just by my fans," said Wiz. "That award right there, I feel it was real special to me, because I feel like my whole career has just been based off my fans. My fans just really came through and they just pushed me over."

Wiz was one of 20 up-and-coming MCs nominated by MTV News for the crown, which was decided by a reader poll. More than 200,000 fans voted, and five finalists emerged: Wiz, Minaj, Atlanta's Travis Porter, Diggy Simmons and J. Cole.

In the end, Wiz reigned supreme, but he kept the entire event in perspective.

"It's like a friendly competition," he said. "It's not competing like I'm going against [the other candidates], but it's like we're all in the same thing. To be mentioned in the same thing as them and then to have my fans come through and just push it over — it's cool!"

No comments:

Post a Comment