Young King on Twitter

Young King on Myspace

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lupe Fiasco Moved By "Laser" Outcry, "It Brought Me To Tears"


Grammy-winning rapper Lupe Fiasco has opened up about a recent fan-launched online petition demanding Atlantic Records to put out his long-delayed Lasers album.

Calling the move a sign of progression, Lupe revealed how much of an impact his fans had on him.

"I love to see progression," he said yesterday via phone. "I love it. I love to see this petition. It brought me to tears a couple of times like, 'these n---as really f--- with me. All these kids and these fans f--- with me and it's some positive sh--. Go to Wearenotlosers.com and see what Lasers really is. ... That's what they're petitioning for. Listen to 'I'm Beamin,' the song. It reaffirms what we're doing...I don't think the label cares about an album. I don't think n---as care. People just want their number-one record. They don't care about the rest of the album. I was talking to an engineer the other day and he said, 'These n---as don't even care about mixing an album no more.' They just want the first three songs. Three singles. They get them, one, two, three, they don't care what's on the rest of the album. I know this for sure. I've seen it. You can't blame them because of the attention span of the game and the attention span of music, how fast things are going. You only got them one, two, three shots. I'm not no fool. I'm looking at it like 'Yeah, you're right.'"

The petition was aimed at Lupe's label home, Atlantic Records, and demanded a release date for Lasers.

"Dear Atlantic Records: The fans below have been waiting for the release for Lupe Fiasco's album 'Lasers' for over a good year now. Since when it was originally announced last summer, there has still yet to be a release date announced. It has even been stated by Lupe Fiasco the artist himself, that the album si in fact completed. Enough is enough, we demand that you stop playing around and give us the album that we have been highly anticipating since the release of The Cool."

Lupe's ex-producer Prolyfic called him out last week over the album's delay.

Prolyfic, born David Lemar Ewing Jr., took to Twitter last week (July 23) to express his sentiments regarding the Chicago emcee's oft-delayed album, to be released on Atlantic Records. According to the beatmaker, who produced a bevy of songs for Fiasco, including 'American Terrorist' and 'Pressure' off his debut effort, Food & Liquor,' the album fans are petitioning for is a lost cause. "Ain't no release date on #WeWantLazers cuz ain't NO F*CKING HITS on it! cuz @LupeFiasco REFUSES to makes hits.. not that he cant.. he wont!" Prolyfic wrote via Twitter.

Lupe has since responded and pointed out Prolyfic's inability to understand his situation.

While Prolyfic blamed the delay of Lasers on his belief that it had no hit singles for AtlanticRecords to get behind, Lupe stated, "PRO!...my man...[you're] not my manager...fall back...take all that 'advice' and further your career with it." As the two Chicago artists haven't worked together since 2006's Food & Liquor, he continued, "You put yourself on the outside...so don't be salty now that [you're] being treated like an outsider...My career is mine. And I'll proceed with it how I wish. [You're] ignorant to my situation and why WE move how WE do. Speak what you know, not what you think you know." Fiasco added, "Frankly you know very little. But I KNOW you lil bro, I'm the reason they even know you at all...I pray you sell a few beats the same way [you're] selling yourself right now. When the music stops who's gonna have a chair to sit in?"

Check out some past Lupe Fiasco footage down below:

No comments:

Post a Comment