Young King on Twitter

Young King on Myspace

Saturday, March 6, 2010

T-Pain Looks To Put On Travis McCoy & Shawnna, "I Want Everyone To Have Their Chance To Shine"



Nappy Boy Entertainment labelhead T-Pain recently spoke on leading a roster containing new acquisitions like Travis McCoy and Shawnna and how he is primarily focused on letting everyone get the spotlight.

Admiring the opportunity to play the background, Pain expressed the difficulty labelheads have with scheduling artists projects to drop on certain timelines.

"I'm content with working on putting out the artists I have," he said in an interview. "Right now I have so much on my plate, I don't think that I could handle promoting another album. That's what happened to Akon, he signed all these people, not realizing that when one [artist] was pushed back, so were artist No. 2 and No. 3 and no one would be able to come out. I like working with a small roster, because I want everyone to have their chance to shine."

The auto-tune hitmaker recently discussed sparking a digital takeover with his online company, Nappy Boy Digital.

"Nappy Boy, it's 2000-and-win we're in right now, we're making the movement known, doing it quietly," Pain said in an interview. "Letting everybody know when we come it's gonna be a big blast, it ain't gonna be like, 'Oh they hot, oh they're getting even hotter,' it ain't gonna be like that, it's gonna be like 'Wow, they super hot!' Nappy Boy Digital is a digital company, basically based on the Internet, it's on iTunes and not really a physical company, you know what I'm saying? A lot of people are pressing up all these CDs and pressing up all these extra jewel cases and the inserts and and all that stuff and then everybody's buying the stuff on the Internet so it's not making them any money, they losing money, so, Nappy Boy Digital is my digital company, it's all Internet and that's just how we go."

Last year, Pain's artist Travis McCoy spoke on putting together his Nappy Boy debut, The Lazarus Project.

"I tried to keep the guest appearances at a bare minimum because this is my first effort away from Gym Class Heroes, so I didn't want it to be super appearance-driven," McCoy said in an interview. "It's me showing another side of Travis. There's a lot more singing and a lot more melody, but I think the guests that are on the record are there for a reason and are meant to be on the record. I feel like a lot of people in the hip-hop world don't take me seriously as a rapper. And I feel that first-and-foremost I came up as a rapper before I started singing."

Aside from music, Pain will be debuting his "Freaknik: The Musical" cartoon this Sunday (March 7).

The cartoon, rated TV-MA, follows students who are looking to resurrect the now-defunct street party, and T-Pain is the "party ghost." It also features Andy Samberg, Lil' Wayne, Bill Hader, Kelis, Snoop Dogg and George Clinton, among others. Lil Wayne voices the character Trap Jesus, who T-Pain describes as having "a Jesus-type aura to him." Samberg portrays a "frat boy" while Kelis plays the role of Tyra Banks, whose television show T-Pain's character appears on. The special premieres March 7 on Adult Swim.

Check out some recent T-Pain footage below:

No comments:

Post a Comment