Young King on Twitter

Young King on Myspace

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Scarface Defends Return From Retirement, "I'm Stepping Back In On My Terms"


Rap veteran Scarface has justified his reasons for making a rap comeback after previously announcing his retirement from hip-hop.

Scarface said he returned to music to make a run at the independent market.

"The thing was--and I say this all the time--I'm not trying to work for nobody. And if I have to work for somebody I don't want to be a part of it. I'm sorry, dude. The direction of where the music business is going the question is; Do I really want to continue to do it? Emeritus was supposed to be my last album, but things change...But as long as I'm stepping back in on my terms. I don't want to be put in a position where I have to make records for anybody other than me. I got my own situation with an indie distributor and I have a situation with a major distributor. Face Mob Music. I wanted to do an album that mirrored The Fix, that's why I named [my new project] The Habit. It's so dumb. I got a song that's probably going to change the face of music."

Last March, Face discussed putting out his free mixtape called Dope Man Music.

"I'm a free agent," he said in an interview. "I always wanted to drop a mixtape on my own. So I just said, 'Let's drop an independent mixtape.' I feel that I should be as an adult and musician and pioneer -- that's what they call me...I feel that I need to move on to another stage with the way I deliver my musicto the public. I got a lot of sh*t and I'm using about three percent of what I know about music. I'm not using it all. I'm music. I can play that sh*t long enough for a real musician to catch it and feel me, where I'm going, and we make magic like that."

Producer Mike Dean recently revealed his commitment to working on Face's upcoming album.

"I'm working on Scarface's album, mixing some pop/R&B stuff and sh*t like that. Working on a song with Drake right now, too," Dean revealed in an interview. "It's sounding good. We just scored a feature from John Legend on there. I hooked him up with John, making sh*t happen. I don't know what's up with the album or a release date or anything, we're just working on a few songs right now. For the last few albums, I haven't had much on his albums because we haven't been in the studio together. He'll do music somewhere else and bring it to me."

In late 2008, Face Mob said he was ready to hang up the microphone for good.

"Scarface is dead, yeah, he's dead," Face said in an interview. "The artist formerly known as Face is going to produce some sh*t on Slim's album but it won't be Face no more, Face is dead. I wanted to broaden my horizon in music, I grew up in a band, I play everything. As influential as I am in the music industry, it would be wrong to stay in the music and not bring it back."

Check out a past SOHH Scarface interview down below:

No comments:

Post a Comment