Young King on Twitter

Young King on Myspace

Monday, March 29, 2010

"Wu-Massacre" Artist On Album Design, "They Initially Gave Me 6 Days to Turn The Cover Around"


Comic book designer Chris Bachalo has discussed being tapped by Method Man, Raekwon and Ghostface Killah to create the cover artwork for the upcoming Wu-Massacre album.

According to Bachalo, his work impressed the Wu crew so much that they asked him to take part in a mini-comic book for the project.

"They initially gave me six days to turn the cover around and I was hesitating -- But luckily, I'm not sure where the delay happened, but it worked in my favor where I ended up having more time and the final turn around time ended up being 60 days," he revealed in an interview. "I know that after we finished the four [cover] images, they came back to me and asked if I would do a six-page comic. So I'm working on that now. I don't think at this time it's going to be part of the CD package. I think that this time what they want to do is put it online...The guys were working on the material for the album and they were hard to reach when we were working on our part so the creative director and the art director took it upon themselves to go with the best ideas for what the CD was going to look like."

Method Man recently shared his thoughts on Bachalo's contributions and talked about the album's marketing.

"So far, with the promotion of this album, I ain't have nothing to do with it," Meth explained in an interview. "We've all been busy working -- well, Rae's been doing Cuban Linx [Part II], Ghost been promoting Wizard of Poetry, I had done like three f*cking movies last year so yeah, I mean, I'm glad someone in the building is taking it upon themselves to get the ball rolling so it's a good deal right there because in the era we're in right now, you gotta do all that sh*t yourself. I'm happy that Chris Bachalo did it, he's official. I mean, his run on X-Men was one of the best...He's professional with it, I would love for Chris to do my next comic book..."

Last month, Raekwon spoke on the threesome's album and its importance to the Wu legacy.

"I'd say probably four or five months ago," Rae said about the album's recording process. "We just wanted to make another album that really represents our brand, which is the W. When you think of Wu-Tang, we've been in the business for damn near almost, what, 17 years? We just want to make sure that people still know that we didn't go nowhere -- musically, passionately about hip-hop. When you get records like this, it helps keep the W flag up high. You know what I mean? Like the American flag. We gotta take care of that flag. It was something that was going to happen sooner or later. Us three, we always work good together throughout the years. On a lot of records, me, Ghost, and Meth was always next to each other. If you look at [the Wu-Tang Clan] as being the Lakers, we are the MVPs of the team."

Prior to naming the album Wu-Massacre, a contest was reportedly made for fans to help in deciding a title.

"We Need a Group Name!!!!!," the message read last night (January 8). "Help us out! As you know Ghostface Killah, Method Man and Reakwon are teaming up for an album dropping very soon, but Meth, Rae & Ghost need a name 4 the group. Txt MethRaeGhost to 66937 to name the band! If they chose UR name U can be in the liner notes

The Wu-Massacre lands in retail stores tomorrow, March 30th.

Check out Method Man speaking on Chris Bachalo down below:

No comments:

Post a Comment