Young King on Twitter

Young King on Myspace

Friday, April 16, 2010

Rick Ross On DJ Vlad's $300K Win, "I Consider My Defense A Success"


Southern rapper Rick Ross has confirmed reports that he has to pay out $300,000 to DJ Vlad.

Despite losing in the courtroom, Ross said his defense helped him avoid shelling out the original $4 million demand by Vlad.

"I've been fighting a $4 million lawsuit for the last two years," Ross said. "My defense was a success. I've got to salute Xavier Donaldson, my attorney. Whenever an artist or anybody is put in a position such as a lawsuit in this capacity, so much evidence is represented -- videotapes, what have you -- to be able to walk out of a courtroom giving the plaintiff less than 10 percent of what he requested, I consider my defense a success. God bless America! The lawsuit is done. Even though I plan to appeal the decision, I thank the courts for the monetary decision that they made. They were extremely lenient, I appreciate that. It's back to the business for the boss."
Reports of the final verdict began to circulate across the Internet earlier today.

A Manhattan federal jury found Ross liable for his crew breaking Vlad "DJ Vlad" Lyubovny's eye socket at the Ozone Awards in Houston, Texas, in 2008. Ross' crew was furious that Vlad Lyubovny had reported Ross was a correction officer before he became a hard-core rapper. The jury awarded Lyubovny $50,000 in compensatory damages and $250,000 in punitive damages for the assault.
Vlad also confirmed the court's decision and spoke on the event's aftermath.

"As an individual that covers breaking news in the hip hop world...I am grateful that the jury punished Rick Ross for setting me up, when all I was doing was covering the news and making commentary," Lyubovny said after the verdict. "There is no place in civilized society for members of the media to have to fear retribution for their news coverage and commentary," said lawyer Brian Caplan of Caplan & Ross.

Last year, Vlad opened up about being assaulted by Ross' entourage.

"There was a certain degree of [embarrassment]. But at the end of the day we all human, and it could happen to anyone." Vlad said. "I go harder now...I don't give a f---, and that's my word. When you go through something, you're either gonna run and hide and leave the business altogether, or you go that much harder. And I go that much harder now."
Check out DJ Vlad speaking on the 2008 assault down below:

No comments:

Post a Comment