Young King on Twitter

Young King on Myspace

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Nas On Drake's Delayed "Thank Me Later" Debut, "He Waited, Got Into A Zone & I Think That Was Smart" [Video]


Rap veteran Nas recently talked about Drake's Thank Me Later album release being pushed back to June and said the newcomer's patience could be his biggest virtue.

From Nas' perspective, artists should be careful not to rush out their albums.

"I think a lot of things that's messed up is if you come out with a record, brand new, and it blows up too big, that could be the worst thing that ever happens to you," Nas explained in an interview. "I think there's a lot of new cats coming out that's not just blowing up but they're taking their time. Like, we're waiting on the Drake first album, Drake's album still hasn't dropped. It should be dropping any day now but that's a great thing that it probably didn't come out last year. He waited, he got into a zone, I think that was smart. So it's a lot going on that I'm happy about."
Hitmaker Timbaland recently questioned whether Drake should have waited nearly a year to drop his debut.

"I don't know, when all the hype was there, [people] were like 'Oh' but now you know how this world is," Tim told radio host/actor Nick Cannon explained about the changing popularity of artists. "They get it and then pull you down. I don't know [if delaying the album was good]. Time will tell when he drops, when he do drop his album. We don't know right now. I can't tell you."
Earlier this year, Nas highlighted the hip-hop artists who have captured his attention as of late.

"We love them, all of them," Nas said referring to rap newcomers. "Jay Electronica, J. Cole, Drake, Nicki Minaj, everybody. We love them. They're extended family right there. I think J. Cole is fire. I think Drake is fire too. Those are the next ones up, we just have to see have to see what they do, get to the plate and hold that bat up and knock it out the park."
Drake has also credited Nas for influencing his own music.

"It's gonna be bigger, it's gonna sound happier," Drake said comparing his debut album to So Far Gone. "Yeah, it's gonna sound bigger, it's gonna sound victorious because that's where I am in my life -- I really studied Nas to be honest, Nas was like somebody that I used to listen to his raps and not really understand 'how' he did it, I always wanted to understand how he painted those pictures and his bar structure and all of that. I went back and really studied Nas, studied Andre 3000 [for this album] and I hope you like it."
Check out Nas talking about Drake down below:

No comments:

Post a Comment