Young King on Twitter

Young King on Myspace

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Uncle Luke Goes Off On VH1 Hip-Hop Honors, "Just Go F*ck Yoursef"


Rap pioneer Uncle Luke has revealed his issues with the upcoming VH1 Hip-Hop Honors paying homage to his work as member of 2 Live Crew and not own individual achievements.

Claiming this year's special will honor the South, Luke threatened to not take part.

"This year I'm supposed to be honored, but they only want to honor me as a member of the 2 Live Crew," Luke Campbell said in an interview. "They want to honor Master P for his business savvy and they want to honor Jermaine Dupri for his business savvy and I'm kind of offended by that. We have basically been talking it out, but it's just so sad that people just don't know my history. They try to link me with a group and not see me as a businessman. Luke Records was the first independent black owned record company owned by a rapper. We were the first to distribute our own product. There's just so many first...For an organization like VH1 to try to say I'm just the first person to go to the Supreme Court over music censorship and be a part of the 2 Live Crew...I told them the other day, 'Just go f*ck yourself.' We were even the first to have a street team...I don't want to be a part of it unless you honor what I've done in a proper way. I've never asked anyone to do anything. But when you ask me to be a part of something, I'm not going to let you disrespect me."
Campbell recently talked about being a part of this year's showcase.

Campbell's case involving his usage of Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman" went all the way to the Supreme Court, where the rapper won a victory, when a judge ruled a parody of a record can qualify as "fair use." "I am happy for my fans, they have sent the people that run the VH1 Hip Hop Honors show emails for years now, asking why a person that started his own record label and went to the Supreme Court can't get honored, so I am happy for them," Campbell told AllHipHop.com in an exclusive statement.
Details on this year's special have already been released online.

VH1's hugely successful annual tribute to the force that is hip hop music, culture and influence returns in June for a seventh time with VH1 Hip Hop Honors: The Dirty South. The show will celebrate The Dirty South and the honorees who infused the southern story into hip hop's global message. Jermaine Dupri, J Prince of Rap-A-Lot Records, Luther "Luke" Campbell AND 2 Live Crew, Organized Noize, and Master P are being recognized through performances in collaboration with some of today's hottest talent. Always one of the premiere hip hop events of the year, in addition to featuring amazing performances, VH1 Hip Hop Honors: The Dirty South will explore the rich hip hop history of the region through music, dance and language.
After honoring Def Jam last year, CNN's N.O.R.E. voiced his displeasure of not being featured.

"I feel invisible !!!!!! I never get noticed I never get props i deserve!!!," he wrote on Twitter last fall. "I bet if they honor the neptunes my name wouldn't even come up They'll give everybody else props!!! Lyor [Cohen] stalked me to be on defjam It's a good show f*ck it I'm not a hater just feel invisible but imma manage to manage!!!"
This year's special will air on VH1 Monday, June 7th at 9 PM EST.

Check out Uncle Luke's "Scarred" down below:

No comments:

Post a Comment