Young King on Twitter

Young King on Myspace

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Jim Jones On Kicking Game As School Teacher, "I'm Trying To Make The Classroom Into A Makeshift Label"


Dipset's Jim Jones has talked about teaching an eight week music course and revealed what actions he has taken so far.

Although he has more than a decade of music business experience, Jones says he is still learning himself.

"I think the business is pretty easy to learn especially the way the kids are so susceptible to music ... they could learn a song in one day," the rapper explained in an interview. "But, one of my angles I am coming with is building a bridge between music and real education. It seems that they learn songs in a way that they should be learning their lessons, but they don't...I think I am still a part of the next generation of executives. I'm not a full blown executive yet, but I hope that I can lead by example as far as my hustle and my work ethic. I'm trying to make the classroom into a makeshift label, where we deal with publishing, marketing, and promotion. We could have an artist, a manager run through it and see how that would work."
Earlier this month, Jones revealed that he was approved to teach high school students.

"I finally got the teacher thing cleared with the Board of [Education] -- I'll be teaching a curriculum for eight weeks before the school year's out," Jones told radio host Angela Yee. "I'm teaching all parts of what goes on in the music from the artistry part, from the executive part of it, from the label owner part of it, marketing, promotion, publicity, we gonna go through the whole motion with how important a lawyer is to an artist, what exactly a lawyer's job is, what exactly a manager's job is."
He initially announced his move to teaching in an interview last month.

"Yeah, should I make them call me Mr. Jones? I'll be teaching for eight weeks, I'll be teaching a real curriculum, right now they're actually going back and forth with the Board of Education to see what goes on and sh*t. I fully don't know the whole logistics of everything -- it's definitely going to be fun...I'ma have to go home the weekend before and write out my lessons -- this will be the funnest class you can go to and sh*t but you gonna learn a lot. We all went to school, n*ggas didn't like homework, but we knew every single song that was out. Word for word, ad libs, all that...I think they'll get this common sense. Music 101 I guess [is the course title.] I've done music business since I was a teenager, I had major executive positions, I've been successful as an artist and successful as a label, we've been successful as a movement..."
Last December, Jones left his post at Columbia Records for independent distributor E1 Music.

XXLMag.com has learned that Dipset Capo Jim Jones has left Columbia Records and recently signed a deal to release his next solo studio album on E1 Music, formerly known as Koch Records. According to the contract, the Harlem rapper will also drop a mixtape vie E1 as well. Jones has a long history with the E1. Along with releasing a handful of records on the imprint, last January he was appointed vice president of urban A&R.
Check out Jim Jones speaking about teaching down below:

No comments:

Post a Comment