Young King on Twitter

Young King on Myspace

Monday, October 11, 2010

Drake Puts Another Producer On Lockdown, "I've Seen More Of 9th Wonder Than My Mom" [Video]


Young Money star Drake has discussed his anticipation to clock in studio time with producer 9th Wonder in the near future as he prepares to mold the follow-up to Thank Me Later.

Accompanied by Wonder in an interview, Drake emphasized the importance of creating a bond with his collaborators.

"I think the best part about what me and 9th have is time," Drake said in an interview. "We have time to get it right so a lot of the collaborative that's been going on at this point have been discussions -- like, when I work [with] somebody, because I work so close with 40, because I know Boi-1da so well, they've been in my life since I was 18, 19. I like to really know somebody if I'm going to bring them in on a project. I think the best part is me and 9th, I've probably seen more of 9th than my mom in the last three weeks. I mean, me and 9th, we're building towards a working relationship that goes beyond 'Oh let me get some beats and I'll record to them.' I'm more looking forward to when I get off this tour in November, sitting down together, really crafting some stuff and we've talked about some things that would be great."

Recently, Drake announced that 9th would play a role on his upcoming sophomore LP.

Before he hit the stage at the Best Buy Theater in Times Square, the 23-year-old revealed that he no longer had a title for the follow-up to this year's Thank Me Later. "I can't tell you," he said of the album's new name--because he hasn't settled on one just yet. "I don't know yet, but we're figuring it out." The Toronto native clarified that he was once again working with his go-to producers Noah "40" Shebib and Boi-1da, in addition to 9th Wonder (Destiny's Child's "Girl," Jay-Z's "Threat"). "I started the album," he said. "I've got some great stuff that I'm really excited about. 40's in a really great place so he's making great beats. I started working with 9th Wonder, so yeah, it's good. It's early though."

Recently, Drake discussed the status of his upcoming album.

"I learned a lot from putting Thank Me Later out. I learned what worked for me-- I wouldn't necessarily say that there were things on that album that didn't work, but I learned what really worked for me, and what I loved and what the people loved. One of the best things is putting people around me in great positions. I got [Noah] '40' [Shebib] finally just financially, mentally in a great place. Some of the best material that he has made to-date since we started working, came right after Thank Me Later was finished. He just happened to be in a great place right after the album, so I've been sitting on about five or six beats that are really, really good. And I've got some great raps. Boi-1Da now, Boi-1Da is in a great place as well...My next album I feel like is going to be my best sonic work to date. I think that musically I'll be able to take it to another level now."

Young Money CEO Mack Maine also recently talked about Drake's album progress.

"Drake's crazy," Young Money president Mack Maine said in an interview. "He's doing a [R&B] mixtape right now. He called me one night, like two in the morning. He has the intro done for the new album. We was discussing dates where he should come back. That'll be soon. And this mixtape, he's gonna put that out quick. His formula is crazy. He works fast. I can't give the secret away to the formula. He's a musical genius. The way he and [producer] 40 put things together is crazy."

A projected release date for Drake's sophomore album has not yet been revealed.

Check out a portion of Drake's interview down below:

DRAKE SPEAKS ON 9TH WONDER from Pricefilms on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment