Young King on Twitter

Young King on Myspace

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Drake's Free NYC Concert Nixed Over Security Concerns + Reveals His Top 5 Influences, "Leonardo DiCaprio Lives His Work"


Security concerns will keep Young Money's Drake from performing during ABC's "Good Morning America" concert series in New York.

According to reports, the concert would have been scheduled for mid-July.

ABC decided not to book the 23-year-old Canadian rapper for a July 16 show in Central Park after the NYPD told the city Parks Department that Parks' security plan wasn't up to snuff, Parks and police sources said. The concert was going to be part of ABC's "Good Morning America" summer concert series, which has already featured megastars Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers and Alicia Keys. "We were interested in having Drake perform, but he was never officially booked," an ABC spokesperson said yesterday without elaborating. A spokesperson for Drake confirmed there was a "booking in place," but declined to comment further.

Last month, Drake had a Manhattan concert shut down by New York City police over safety issues.

The Toronto-born hip-hopper along with boy band Hanson & DJ Ninjasonik, were scheduled to perform a free concert at the South Street Seaport Tuesday evening. But when thousands of people showed up at the "Feels Like Paper" event things got rowdy and chaotic, causing officials to cancel the show. The show was off to a late start, so fans began to throw chairs and get disorderly, witnesses told NBC NewYork. Pictures show tens of thousands of fans packed like sardines at Pier 17, where ambulance and fire trucks were parked ready for disaster.

Following the show being called off, Drake issued a public statement.

"I am humbled by the crowd that showed up in support of my performance and the release of Thank Me Later," Drake said in a statement. "I love performing for my fans, but unfortunately, the show was canceled by the NYPD due to overcrowding, leaving me without the chance to give my fans a real show. I'm thankful for the support that the fans have been giving me ... I thank you now."

Aside from concerts, Drake's Thank Me Later debut has continued its dominance on the sales charts.

Young Money rapper Drake's Thank Me Later also stayed put at No. 2 with 104,900. With three weeks in the books, the Canadian-based emcee's debut has moved 708,900 units.

Check out footage from Drake's shut down New York City show down below:



Young Money rapper Drake recently revealed artists who influenced his career like actor Leonardo DiCaprio and the late rocker Jimi Hendrix.

Drake also said rap stars Jay-Z, Kanye West and Andre 3000 played a large role in motivating his career.

"I like the way he [Leonardo DiCaprio] carries himself and how much he lives his work. That is something that I hope to accomplish. I don't think I live my work...Second would be Jimi Hendrix, I love how he just performed under pressure...Third would be Jay-Z. Everything about Jay, how long he has been in the game as a rapper, you know how intelligent he is, you know who he is married to...Fourth, I would have to say, in my life, I would have to attribute Kanye West with a lot of inspiration...And last I would have to say Andre from OutKast. The whole Outkast being a part of my childhood."

Recently, Drake also talked about his top five favorite rappers of all-time.

Lil Wayne: It's hard as a rapper not to become repetitive, and he always has a new way to make it fun. Andre 3000: If I wasn't myself, I would want to be that guy! Kanye West: I've never been so moved by a person's entire career. He's the guy I'll tell my kids about. Nas: He influenced this album a lot. I had to break down how he raps. Jay-Z: You look at [other] rappers from his era, and they couldn't transcend generations. But he's still completely relevant.

Earlier this year, Drake credited Nas and Andre 3000 for inspiring his debut album, Thank Me Later.

"It's gonna be bigger, it's gonna sound happier," Drake said comparing his debut album to So Far Gone. "Yeah, it's gonna sound bigger, it's gonna sound victorious because that's where I am in my life -- I really studied Nas to be honest, Nas was like somebody that I used to listen to his raps and not really understand 'how' he did it, I always wanted to understand how he painted those pictures and his bar structure and all of that. I went back and really studied Nas, studied Andre 3000 [for this album] and I hope you like it."

Last summer, Drake spoke on fearing Lil Wayne's creativity.

"Someone would really have to come to the studio to see me and Wayne together and how we work," Drake said in an interview. "It's the same sort of thing. I fear Wayne's creativity. It's endless. It's a scary beast. He never takes one day off. When we get into the studio it is very competitive, but in a good way. You can't just use a line you wrote Tuesday. Every line has to be thought out."

Check out Drake speaking on Nas & Andre 3000's influencing him down below:

No comments:

Post a Comment